Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Quad Blood Test

This past Friday I had another doctor's appointment. 

This one was a Quad blood test and they also did a sonogram to try and see if it is a boy or girl.  No luck on that so far.  The baby was sleeping and wasn't inclined to wake up.  Boo!

The quad blood test tests for 4 different types of substances in my blood: AFPhCG, Estriol, and Inhibin-A.  This test is designed to test the risk of possible problems such as Downs Syndrome, spina bifida, and/or Trisomy 18 or other types of chromosome abnormalities.   


Joseph has had his chromosomes checked this past January and he is fine, so without checking mine,  we don't foresee any problems; but it is a good idea to check nevertheless by completing this testing. 

I will be phoned in about another week if my risk falls in the "higher than normal" category and we will go from there.  If the risk is higher than normal, the next step will most likely be an amniocentesis (go here for more information on the Quad Blood Test).  

*fingers crossed* things are well and that there are no false positives or negatives and that things are accurate. 

The hospital I am a patient at is pretty amazing. I keep learning things that make me like it more and more. 
I asked a few more questions this time around, one of them being about labor and delivery.  Dr. Oh explained to me that so far things are fine with me--not high risk yet according to my blood, urine and blood pressure.  If things continue this way, natural birth is possible.  Dr. Oh also explained that she would like to try natural first and go from there.  She told me epidural and other pain lessening drugs are possible--okay!

Also, at this hospital, husbands are a huge part of this as well.  I will not be strapped to a bed.  I'll be able to walk around as much as possible and try out sitting positions, or other more useful positions at the time.  This is unheard of *almost* in Korea.  Husbands are usually never allowed in the room or operating room and most hospitals push having a C-section.  If I end up needing a C-Section Joseph will be able to be there for that as well.  This hospital is as western as it gets in Korea.  We're loving it!  

In addition, formula is not given to new babies unless the mom's really want it. This hospital pushes breast feeding which is great.  My reason for asking about that is because I don't want the baby to get any formula if at all possible. That also is NOT the norm in Korea.  90% of all new babies are given formula for the first year of their lives in Korea for various reasons--most of them aesthetic as the new moms do not want saggy or no-longer-perky bits.  

Dr. Oh is not inclined to take risks with my health or the baby's.  I asked her about pre-eclampsia and she explained that it is nearly impossible to know whether or not I will get it (research complies with this) and that is why they continuously monitor blood pressure, blood and urine protein/sugar samples each time I go. 
I told her about my [irrational] fear of dying during all of this and she said again that she would not take any risks and nor does she normally which made me feel better.  
*fingers crossed* for good news! 

1 comment:

  1. we're all crossing our fingers for you, too.
    love, mom and dad

    ReplyDelete