Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Cruzin' for a Brusin'

This past Thursday (Oct. 17th) I got my first shot.  It was a shot of Decapeptyl-Depot.  Simply a fancy name for hormones (estrogen). This particular medicine is not used in the United States.  It is used primarily in Europe and Asia.  Strangely, that makes me feel better.  The "depot" part means it is one shot to last one month instead of daily shots for one month.  I am very grateful to have one monthly shot. 

Some of the research I have found about this drug is below.  So far I have no side effects--thank goodness. 

One nifty bit of information about getting this shot is I have one hell of a bruise on my belly.  It is one and a half of my palms.  It is huge.  J and I have named it Big Bertha.   You wanna see it?  Say 'please.' 

this is about two hours after the shot.
Stingy and a small knot under the band aid.  Hurts if I touch it.

This is about 12 hours after the shot.  The size of one and a half of my palms.
It is still this size 6 days later but slightly beginning to fade.  No pain at all. 

I wait until day 3 or 4 of this cycle to go in to begin the ten days of 4-6 daily injections.  I believe there will be too many bruises to name them all so just call me Experiment 626 (anyone catch that?).  Let's just hope I am as indestructible...

Also, I have learned some information about spouses being allowed in the exam room for surgery.  Apparently in Korea, it is not normal for a husband to be there for his wife.  Good thing I am not Korean.  I will fight for that or someone else I trust to be in the room with me.  I am preparing myself for a flood of tears--they seem to work miracles in Korea.  Even though I am supposed to be put to sleep for the 15 minutes surgery, I still want someone I know who speaks English and who knows and cares about me to be there in case I cannot speak for myself. 

More specific information on the daily shots as I begin them.  I did not even feel the shot of Deca...so here's hoping!


Decapeptyl-Depot drug information:

The active ingredient in Decapeptyl 3.75 injections is Triptorelin. Triptorelin works similarly to GnRH which is a hormone that stimulates the release of pituitary gonadotropins. Gonadotropins, in turn, control hormonal secretions by the ovaries.
Initial use of Decapeptyl 3.75 which contains Triptorelin can increase the amount of luteinising hormone and follicle stimulating hormone that is released from the pituitary gland. This further leads to increase in increased estrogen production in women. But triptorelin also desensitizes the pituitary gland which leads to low production of FSH and LH and stops the production of estrogens in women. The low hormone levels can be used for treatment of disorders that are linked to estrogen production.
Decapeptyl 3.75mg has also shown positive results for treatments of conditions like endometriosis. The usage of this medication stops unwanted growth of uterine tissue, and uterine fibroids and reduces the size of fibroids either prior to or instead of surgery. The Decapeptyl Ferring medication should be used only as directed by your doctor.
Common side effects of Decapeptyl 3.75mg include:
* Hot flashes
* Night sweats
* Headache
* Emotional irritability
* Breast size changes
* Decreased libido
* Acne
* Vaginal dryness
* Sore muscles

Contact your doctor immediately if you experience the following symptoms:

* Heart palpitations
* Extreme anxiety or depression
* Shortness of breath or tight chest
* Numbness or tingling of hands or feet
* Skin rash, hives, or itching
* Abdominal pain or swelling
Precautions: * Decapeptyl 3.75 should not be used by women who are breastfeeding.
* Use of Decapeptyl 3.75 mg results in small loss in bone density, some of which may not be reversible. Patients with osteoporosis risk factors are advised to avoid GnRH-a use beyond six months.
* Decapeptyl 3.75 may cause temporary increase in endometriosis pain at beginning of treatment.

No comments:

Post a Comment