Saturday, August 9, 2014

Samsung Medical Hospital: Gangnam, Seoul

Joseph and I have chosen our hospital for general baby things and it is located in Seoul.  Gangnam, to be precise.

I had my first appointment yesterday with Dr. Oh (woman) and she is amazing.  Dr. Lee spoke with her concerning our patient history, etc. with her prior to me going so everything was great when I met with Dr. Oh.



*I will give directions and things from the subway but later.*

First, this place is HUGE.  Really, really big.  I got a bit turned around but it is very friendly and there are SO MANY people there, both patients, guests and staff.  It is almost a mini city.  I began at gate 6 (the main entrance is Gate 1 almost a mile away--without leaving the building).  Information was super helpful and everything was in ENGLISH.  I cannot explain how happy that made me.  To not have to worry about translating everything correctly and properly and if it is formal enough, etc. It was great.  They got me going in the right direction and off I went.

The baby area is on level 3 in the main building.  It is kind of a circus.  Friday's a really busy days at clinics and other medical places and this is no exception. I am helped again by another Korean speaking perfect English and again, loving it.  They take my height, weight and ask me to pee in  a cup to check my protein levels.

Next, I speak with the same lady and go though a form I needed to fill out (all in Korea so she helped) to get settled as a proper patient.

After filling out the paperwork (roughly 5 minutes), she asks me to sit "over there" by the sonogram section to wait to have a sonogram done.  The lady doing the sonogram speaks perfect English again and we chat about things and what's happening on the screen.  The second baby is smaller yet but still there (the sac is anyway).

Next, I am asked to wait in another section to speak with the doctor.  I wait perhaps 10 minutes then it is my turn.  Dr. Oh is lovely.  She speaks about Dr. Lee and how they spoke about our patient history and I said I brought all of our paperwork as well in case she needed to look at anything (no).

She asks if I have any questions and I have a lot (Joseph and I made a long *mental* list) but I am actually blank at that time and have no idea what I wanted to ask her.  I finally remember one of them and ask if she will be the doctor to deliver the baby and she says she hopes so and checks our due date (MARCH 5TH--it's changed) and says it will most likely be possible but we will continue to check as it gets closer.

I asked her if it'd be possible to tour the maternity area and delivery area, etc.  She said in about another 10 or so weeks, no problem.  We discussed diet and exercise and what I shouldn't be doing.  Basically, still doing nothing.  She, like Dr. Lee, want me to wait another 3-4 weeks before swimming.  If I swim now, it's basically water aerobics....no laps for me yet.

We also discussed certain testings that will be done in the next few weeks.  This first appointment, Dr. Oh wanted to check my blood glucose levels (usually done week 24ish) and if things are good, great.  If not, we will see.
At the next appointment--3 weeks from now--there will be another sonogram to test for neck thickening which is an early test for down syndrome.  *fingers crossed*

All in all, very happy with this hospital.

Starting to get excited!

1 comment:

  1. im glad you found a doctor you like and a hospital that is super modern. be healthy and happy. love, mom and dad

    ReplyDelete