Thursday, June 5, 2014

Injections: Menopur, Follitropin and Cetrotide

Since the post-op follow up, I have been to the doctor twice more to receive injections to take home.

I am being given menopur, follitropin and cetrotide. 

The estrogen was used for 14 days prior to these injections to get my body ready to make more eggs.  The monopur and follotropin is used to make them grow big and healthy and the cetrotide is used to I don't ovulate before the doctor wants me to.

I have been doing 5 days of the follitropin an menopur thus far and tomorrow, Saturday June 7th, I will begin the cetrotide. 

I return to the doctors office on Tuesday for another exam and medication.  It is this day we will find out our surgery date.  It should be either next Thursday, Friday or Saturday. 


The hormones I have been given this round are less so than when we were at Maria Fertility Hospital.  I almost didn't think that was possible but it is.

I am quite glad about it as I don't have to worry quite so much about OHSS (ovary hyper-stimulation syndrome) which can be deadly if not treated properly and quickly.  However, I am not taking as many medications and hormones as other women normally take so all in all, the risk is quite small to begin with but it still bears attention.

Yesterday at my checkup and exam the doctor say 10 eggs so far.  :-)  Let us hope they all are able to be used at some point. 

Also yesterday, I was ushered to the counseling area to talk about OHSS, freezing or not freezing embryos and given my injection schedule.  Joseph and I have discussed that we would like to freeze our embryos if any are available to do so.  For a 3 year freeze it is *only* 460USD in Korea. 

We have decided to freeze any remaining embryos but what we haven't decided is how many to transfer at one time.  1 or 2. 
Last time, our choice was taken away as there was only 1 viable embryo viable enough to use.  Hopefully this time there will be at least 3 or 4. 

When we talked with the doctor about having a 3 day or 5 day embryo transfer she recommended a 3 day because of my age.  If I was 35 or older she would recommend a 5 day, but as I have just turned 33, a 3 day is fine.

Below are some photos of the medications I am taking.  More for my memory later on, but if you'd like to view them feel free.

------------------------------------

on the KTX train home with my goodie bag of drugs




3 days worth of menopur

setting up 1 injection of menopur

solid form



mix it with the liquid on the right



mixing solid and liquid together

ready to roll

this is the fillotropin. I let go of the plunger when I took it out of myself and some of my blood got inside and contaminated it.  I took it to the doctor and got another one. No worries, but that's why I have a bruise now.

KTX all to myself at the moment.  It filled up quickly.
Fillotropin
turn the red bit on the right to the correct number you need (150)
what's in here mommy?
all of these new smells. 
watching me inject myself.
the bruise on the left is from me not holding the plunger down until I pulled out the needle.
hold the plunger down!  Eddie looking fascinated for some reason.



No comments:

Post a Comment