Monday, March 31, 2014

Here and Back Again

We have been going back and forth to Seoul for Joseph and One Top Andrology.  Now we are going back and forth for me to Rachel IVF private hospital. 

Joseph and I went together the first time and actually since then, I've had to go by myself so far because my appointments have been during the week.  Kate went with me this past time and afterwards we bummed around Seoul me showing her the sights and sounds of the subways, Gangnam, the Express Bus Terminal--which is where the Dean and Deluca is.  Yummy.

Anywho, Rachel IVF hospital is quite large.  They are in the Mapo City Lotte Hotel in Seoul, about a 4,000w taxi ride from Seoul Station but you can also hop a bus there for 1,000w.  There are 2 towers associated with this hotel and Rachel is in the left tower on floors 2 and 3.  The surgical area is on the 2nd floor, so avoid that unless you have need of it that day.  Go to the 3rd floor and check in.  There are 5 doctors and each have their own secretary and team of people to assist them then there are the other areas of the hospital for injections, blood withdrawal, etc.


For our first visit we took all of our paperwork, marriage license and any additional paperwork we could think of that was necessary for them to know.  Our doctor is Dr. Lee and she is fabulous so far.  She is also the medical director of Rachel. 

We talked for about 5 or 10 minutes and we gave her everything along with the referral from One Top which she was familiar with.  After discussing our history she needed us to get more paperwork from Daejeon Maria Fertility Hospital and then I was examined. 

Dr. Lee explained everything and asked me numerous questions about our last experience with Maria and did the doctor tell me ... and I had to answer no.  She said that she would fully explain everything and if we had questions to please ask.  *insert sigh of relief*  As we all know, I ask a bajillion questions and we are thankful this doctor is receptive of them and willing and able to discuss them.

When we left this first visit, Joseph has 2 months of pills to take 2x a day and we both have a list of instructions on what to eat and what not to eat and how much to exercise and what kind of exercise and no smoking, no drinking kind of list.  

On my next visit (with Kate) they simply drew blood (hormone test) and gave me the results of my exam with the doctor the first time.  Joseph and I were both given medicine to take for 3 days (in addition to what J is already taking). 

Already this hospital seems to be much more with it and in tuned with procedures and communicating with their patients.  They run smoothly and so far so good.

Cost. 
This place will be more expensive.  We are not sure how much more considering Maria cost us an even $3000USD but we are expecting about $4K or $4500K.  In addition to the appointments and injections, the egg retrieval surgery will be putting me to sleep and that will cost a bit extra versus just a local and also the train tickets when we go up and come back also add to the over all cost of the process but really, that isn't too much.  Yes, we have health insurance and it does pay a portion, but the government pays upwards to ~80% of the total cost for one cycle if not all costs for married Korean couples.

Something interesting Dr. Lee told me was that I may not have as many injections this time around which is curious to me because at Maria it seems I had a minimum.  It will be interesting to learn more about that as it approaches.  


My next appointment is tomorrow for another blood test to test my ovary functions.  This coming Friday I go in for a uterine endoscopy.  Nothing is wrong, but the doctor says she needs to see what's what and make sure there's enough room for baby and whatever else she needs to see with an itty bitty camera.
I asked if it would be painful and she said I can take some tylenol so on my 6:45am train, I will take several before my 8:30am appointment.
More on that in the next post.


Well...if you are curious about Rachel IVF please go to their website.  The Korean site is much more helpful but if you do not read Korean, use the English site.  Also, if you need their phone number you will not find it on the English page: go to the Korean one.

www.rachelivf.com

1 comment: