Saturday, August 29, 2015

Lucky

A few people we know in America have had to return to work so soon after having their baby. Sometimes as little as 2-6 weeks.
I cannot imagine leaving Jasper so soon after giving birth to him. Not only was my body not ready, but my mental and emotional self just would not have been back to 100%.

There are many things I dislike about living in Korea but their maternity leave is not one. We are so fortunate to live here during this time.  The government pays me for 3 months, full pay. I am also fortunate with my job. I basically had the entire summer off as well making it a full 6 months off before Jasper needed to begin school (daycare).  Again, an additonal 3 months full pay.  We are so lucky.
Our original plan was for me to try and stay home his first full year but it just isn't possible with my student loans.
We are so lucky to have found a great daycare - walking distance from our house - and so lucky to have had such a wonderful experience with the pregnancy, birth and all the rest.
---------
Jasper is almost 7 months and is too big for the sink. He is babbling away and sometimes able to pull himself up to sit up. He can reach for and grab items and also pass them back to his other hand.
At school, he is not fussy except for nap time (too loud for him to sleep) and he plays well by himself and with the other baby.  No discernable words just yet but something tells us he will begin with small sentences rather than just a word or two.
We are so damn lucky and thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment