Saturday, April 12, 2014

Surgery update

I will be having surgery on Friday, May 9th for a hysteroscopic polypetomy.  Go here for a video of this procedure and go here for further information about what it is.

I have polyps in my uterus and the surgery will remove them.  Why not have a D&C?  My aunt asked this excellent question and so I asked my doctor.  Our doctor said that the hysteroscopic polypetomy is more sensitive and better at detecting and removing all types of uterine legions, polyps, etc. than a D&C.


I do not have cancer or cancerous cells (as of my most recent round of testing) so this surgery will remove these polyps and our chances of the embryo 'sticking' when it is turkey basted in are greater if the polyps are removed.  The polyps are not large but there are many of them to remove which is one possibility our last round of IVF didn't "stick."

I will be put to sleep and everything will be done from there.  Joseph is taking the day off of work, of course, and we will come home where I will sleep the remainder of the weekend (or stay in the Lotte City Hotel which is in the same building as our doctor office).  If we stay in the hotel, it will be a precaution to see if there is anything wrong after as it will be easier to have things taken care of if something does go wrong.

Regardless, our doctor will write us a note in Korean for us to take to a Daejeon hospital if we need to go there for any reason so the doctors there will know what's going on.

How much is this going to be?  The doctor said between $200 and $400USD total.  Medicine, anesthesia, recovery...pain meds to go home with, everything.  Not bad.  

I am very glad my aunt asked this question.  I am good at researching things about IVF and all, but when it comes to differing procedures for similar outcomes, I have no idea so THANK YOU AUNT MARY!  :-) Much love.


No comments:

Post a Comment