Saturday, May 10, 2014

Surgery # Uterine Polyp Removal

Joseph and I are back from Seoul. 

The surgery went really well.  I had no reason to feel trepidation or anxiousness beforehand.  I shall try not to feel that way again...

The night before at midnight I had to take some medication and then again at 6am the same medication.  My surgery time was 11:30am and we were asked to arrive 30 minutes before hand and so we showed up at 10:50am.  I was taken back and asked to change.  Joseph was not allowed to come back so he waited outside the door to the surgical suite.


I was placed in a bed and given 3 shots.  One of them was an alergic shot to see if I would be allergic to something and then an IV of saline to keep me hydrated.  One of the needles didn't work and so the nurse had to do it again and now I have a large bruise on my arm, but it's okay.  It didn't hurt.  I don't actually mind the needles. 

About half an hour later or so I am walked back to the operating room and helped onto the table.  The doctor is there and asks how I am and is saying she is happy to see me.  My vitals are okay.  She points to the lady behind my head and says she is the best anesthesiologist (since this is Korea I take it with a grain of salt because everyone is 'the best.').  The other nurse says they will restrain my hands and I'm like...okay?

Then they ask if I'm ready and I say yes.  I feel a super tingly feeling and then I remember nothing.   

I wake up in what seems a second later and I hurt.  I'm in a bit of pain, but not so much it is unbearable.  I'm not sure where my glasses are and I have to pee.  The nurse comes around and in Korean, asks how I am and in Korean, I answer her and tell her I have to go to the bathroom.  She wanders away and the doctor comes over and speaks with me to see how I am and what I feel like and if there is pain, etc. All I told her was I'm feeling fine but I have to pee.  Since that over rode everything else I think I'm okay. 

The doctor said I would be dizzy for a couple of hours and to rest for about 3 hours. After that, she said I need to walk around and exercise for a few hours as well.  That I can resume my exercise routines--minus swimming and baths--but to not over do it because I will get tired and dizzy for a couple of days to come. 

I will see her in a week for a check-up and see how everything is going, but she did say the surgery went very well.  I am given the okay to get up and go to the bathroom.  The nurse helps me and then it is back to the hospital bed for another 30 or so minutes then I can change and go.
Joseph and I go upstairs to pay and make an appointment for next Friday and to get the preseciption for my medicine.

The TOTAL cost of this surgery is 154,000W which is about $150.00USD.  The medicine I was given to ward off infection and pain was 2 days worth and a TOTAL cost of 1,700W or about $1.60 USD.  
We couldn't believe it. 

We went back to the hotel room and I passed out for a few hours and then woke up and felt I needed to get up and walk around so we went to the hotel pool.  Joseph worked out and swam while I read and tried to eat some pumpkin porridge.  After a couple of hours we walked outside to find some dinner and ended up at a Korean BBQ place.  We came back to the hotel after and I went back to bed and slept like a rock.



Saturday came and we took our time wandering around looking for breakfast.  We walked about 4 or 5 miles on Saturday walking across the Mapo bridge to the IFC
Mall and the park and river next to it.  We had a great day and took our time slowly walking and resting.  We walked back to the hotel, back across the huge bridge and I rested in the hotel room while Joseph wandered around some more, exploring.  When he returned we went back out to find dinner: Korean BBQ.  Back to the hotel after, shower, TV and bed.

Sunday, we woke up and left earlier than planned to get home.  A little more pain today but more tired than pain.  Got home and glad to be here.

We are happy the surgery went well and so surprised it was so inexpensive! 

Cheers to Rachel IVF!

_______________________________
Hotel:  Lotte City Mapo Hotel.  Agoda.com for a good deal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment